Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Some recommendations Songwriter interviews and biographies

Lately I've enjoyed reading about some of my favorite songwriter. This is an attempt to understand their thinking, and maybe read some of their methods, if such a thing. I could see a fairly wide variety of biographies in my local library. I will be a brief description of some books I recently read and make some additional remarks.

First, there is an excellent collection of American Songwriter Magazine aptly named"Song", which has some very nice conversations with a variety of authors like Tom Petty, John Prine, Willie Nelson, Jeff Tweedy and Sheryl Crow. Each interview provides insights and recommendations for other singers who can help. I recommend this book to people who may not have time to dig blown biographies, as a whole. This is a collection of short interviews and many of the artists who make suggestions for aspiring songwriters.

I happen to beWilco a fan since he was in the Chicago area, so I read a book called "Learning How To Die" by Greg Kot. It 'an interesting story of a group that has challenged the industry stereotyped approach to folk music and songs. It also provides an excellent example for a band to break through, despite the many challenges managed. This book not only offers a very good overview on current trends in the music industry, but also helps people understand how the music business.It also helps to distinguish the approach of an avant-garde singer and songwriter, the more commercial approach to a pure artist, or a pure songwriter.

I read Warren Zevon biography "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," written by his friend and ex-wife, Crystal Zevon. It 'a tragic story, but offers a much better description of undervalued Zevon, written in a style that we never actually see again. Zevon's music, what Hunter S. Thompson is literature. Heis the epitome of "Gonzo," a term coined HS Thompson. Hunter seemed to recognize this peculiarity in Zevon, as they quickly become friends.

Recently I read "Paul Simon", a biography by Laura Jackson. I find this book especially fun, I remember the events surrounding the creation of Simon and Garfunkel in the 60s. I find it particularly interesting that some of my favorite songs of Paul Simon wrote significant connections to events in his life was, as events inHistory. There are too many songs to list, but especially love the "Sound of Silence, The Boxer," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "America," "late night", "Graceland," "Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes" and "You Can Call Me Al." While it was fun, would provide an analysis of these songs, I will not spoil the book for those who have an interest in reading can have for themselves. But I found it interesting that Simon also employs the habit of collecting some thoughts and randomObservations in a notebook, then infused in his work.

I just wrote a biography of the late Woody Guthrie by Elizabeth Partridge, entitled concluded, "This Land Is Your Land." This book is very readable, but for me it was very dark and depressing. After reading the book, I wanted to hug my 14 years and go out to see if the sun still shines. It 'was, thank God While Woody Guthrie is one of the most prolific songwriter of modern times withPeople like Leonard Cohen, his life was worse than I ever imagined. However, it is difficult to Woody Guthrie in a light 100% positive feedback. I can not judge this man, except to say that was extraordinary in every way, unorganized, except for the unique gift of songwriting. Incidentally, it was my interest in Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie brought me. I had the name of Guthrie is often taken, but I was not prepared for its tragic history.

If you are interestedsong writing, I encourage you to learn more about the songwriters who have made an impression on you. It 's interesting, but it can also be a little' fear, as you may find some similar features like yours. It 's definitely something that some people attracted to this art form and it is interesting to some similarities that are intertwined with their lives to see both the circumstances and behaviors.

Perhaps an attribute that is very positive for meTrend for all the great songwriters extraordinary observer of life in general. They seem to have a particular ability, the words to things that are indescribable for the rest of the population has led. These words make listeners immediately with human thoughts and feelings to identify a unique way.

A little 'darker side, there are some features that tied it very difficult for those of us in society to understand the context, can not. Some even issued Songwriterdestructive behaviors that seem to coincide with its success. For some of these people seems to be a recurring theme of introspection, depression and mania. While my list is rather that of some others who were perhaps not able to reach the same level of awareness of tame in comparison, looks quite similar to us a good reason to Remain vigilant as to be our life. extreme conditions and practices can provide abundant material for a songwriter, but it is easycommon sense in moderation (if possible) to maintain self-control and integrity, I believe, is essential for sustainable development, humor happy life. Art is a wonderful thing, but there are many good examples of art that exists without great suffering as a prerequisite. If you convert now then by all means, find a way to make your experience into art. However, I urge everyone not to go through life looking for ways to suffer Artsake.

Finally, these books an added bonus for fans of music during the most fertile that have 50 years in music history. It is a cultural aspect, any books that might be a better understanding of the ecological context elements of each artist. These elements include history, politics, social change, economic conditions and popular culture. Furthermore, each of these books is a Who's Who "of influential people in the music industry in this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment