Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Book Review - My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber

Okay, okay, so I know James Thurber is a famous writer and artist who spent most of his career writing for The New Yorker, but that was over 50 years. I really need to start washing my hands of classics such as these, because they are too old. I can understand his talent, but from a point of joy, I just need to attack later, sometimes humorous biographies written by people who are alive and living in or electricity. Even reading Garrison Keillor's LakeWobegon days driving it.

My Life and Hard Times, a very short little book is to tell funny little stories of James Thurber's childhood, youth and student. I've heard this type of "When I was young, we walked 20 miles uphill to school in the snow" stories about a billion times, and although this book may have been at an earlier point in time have, is definitely not for me . My Life and Hard Times is not terrible or bad writing, but that gets pretty boring and I wassleep.

My favorite is the chapter "University Days". Thurber tells of his frustration in science class trying to get the microscope without being engaged. His invective to see or see the dust particles right eyeball is weird because I totally relate!

Although the book is 106 pages long, I would definitely recommend taking a modern biography of fun, if you are looking for light entertainment and fun. David Sedaris is very fruitful in humorMemory of the World, and many successful comedians like Sarah Silverman and Wanda Sykes have their books.

No comments:

Post a Comment