Monday, September 20, 2010

Sojourner Truth's America - A Review

Sojourner Truth America is one of the most phenomenal books ever written about this extraordinary woman. The author, Margaret Washington, has not only opened the world of Sojourner, but also a culture within a culture.

I have been most affected by the inclusion of the Washington culture of the Dutch, with Sojourner spent much of their charm years slavery. Washington was this amazing culture so thoroughly that it is almost a book within a book, and immediatelyalone.

If you read the chapter, such as custody of her son after Sojourner back to be sold by itself, you get a feeling for the size that has been strengthened. Sojourner not give up, or in spite of the fact that she could neither read nor write and spoke broken English because Dutch influence on their dialect. What Sojourner, a strong faith in God, which he inherited from his mother, though she was no longer sold by her mother as a teenager.

TheThe pain and suffering that slaves like Sojourner and many have endured pales in comparison to anything we can imagine here in America and much of the free world than ever. Reading biographies like this helps me concentrate and do what I can, rather than what I can do.

A brief excerpt from the book:

June 1, 1843, aboard the Sojourner Brooklyn Ferry in Lower Manhattan and headed for Long Island. A frugal woman with a savings account, wearing onlyto pay some money "Caesar." Once "in vain his clothes, he wore only a couple of things in a backpack. After getting on Long Island and along the sandy road, met a Quaker woman." I can see now, "said a journalist in Chicago, Sojourner Truth, as recall the conversation, long time ago.

The Sojourner asked the woman for a drink of water.

"What's your name?" he said.

I said: "Sojourner".

"Where are you have a name like that?"

SaidI, the Lord has given me. "

"I've been, is not it? Said," Lord, not the war. that your name is long? "

I said "No!"

"What was your name?"

"Fine."

"Fine, what?"

"Everything that was my master."

"Well, you said your name is Sojourner?"

"Yes."

"Sojourner was?"

Sojourner has confessed that he had not that what the Quaker woman, "this name was in pieces, so that seemed different and thought"It seemed to be not a name like that, after all." Shyly and quickly apologized, Sojourner shocked "and on the road and the sand was hot and miserable." In their disappointment, they shouted: "Oh God, give me a name with one, deal with it." After all, why the voice of God, had brought from the town of an unknown region, needed now, God, give it a name. In this moment of despair, was her "as sure as God is true, Sojourner Truth." Jumping for joy and thanked God for the name."You are my Lord and your name is the truth and the truth will be my name until I die." Finally, after five teachers and five children, and more than forty years on earth, remember Sojourner Truth, "I was liberated."

This is one of my favorite songs of the book, which is also the author herself in a video that I read further down in context. The author, Margaret Washington, professor of history at Cornell University. It 'also the author of the award-winning book "A particularPeople, Slave Religion and Community Culture among the Gullah and editor of "The Adventures of Sojourner Truth.

This biography is a phenomenal and I recommend it for every American and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment